According to a recent study conducted by the Journal of the American Medical Association, almost 60 percent of American adults were taking a prescription drug. Research also shows that medication management is a task frequently designated to loved ones.
Since it can be tricky to keep track of various medications and supplements without an organized system, it’s worth taking the time to create an orderly regimen with the help of tried-and-true best practices as well as the latest digital tools. Ready to get started?
Keep Thorough Documentation
- Begin by keeping a list of medications and request written instructions about when and how to take each one.
- Find out if there are any side effects or special instructions that you should be aware of.
Schedule a Review at Least Once a Year
- A “brown bag review” is a common practice that involves going over all medications with your health care provider and discussing any possible interactions or overlaps.
- Be sure to include all vitamins, dietary supplements, ointments and over-the-counter medicines in this conversation.
- Keep medications in a place that’s easy to find but still out of reach of pets and children.
- Don’t hesitate to call the doctor or pharmacist with any questions about a missed dose or mixed-up pills.
Immediately contact a physician if you or a loved one experience unexpected side effects like nausea, dizziness or severe fatigue.
Consider a Pill-Tracking App
- Download a medication management app that’s intuitive and suits your needs.
- Enable alerts via the app or set additional reminders using your phone or alarm clock.
- You may also want an app that provides access to educational materials and a supportive social network.
Adopting just a few of these behaviors can help you keep better track of your medications and manage your health more confidently.